Republic Steel Corporation
The Buffalo steel plant traces its history back to 1906. At that time, the Union Drawn Steel Company in PA was looking for a source of hot rolled steel bars for its cold drawing plant. When available suppliers were unable to meet the plant’s needs, the company decided to build its own steel making plant. With other interests, it formed a new company known as NYS Steel. The original plant covered 67 acres. In 1913, the plant faced financial difficulties and in 1915 it was bought by William H. Donner. In 1930, the DONNER STEEL COMPANY was included in the merger of several independent steel companies that marked the birth of REPUBLIC STEEL CORPORATION!