The German American Brewing Company
The German American Brewing Company was originally built in 1849 at the corner of Main and High Street. In 1859, the business was taken over by Joseph L. Haberstroh. In 1885 Haberstroh sold the brewery to The German- American Brewing Company. In 1893, a new brewhouse was added and in 1894, a whole new brewery was erected in place of the original brewery. When the building was completed in 1896, a beer garden was installed on the roof and the brewery became the center of German- American Culture for many years. The brewery closed during Prohibition and reopened brieflyafter its repeal. The brewery closed in 1934.